Sunday, July 8, 2012

Muffins are all the rage at my house, and at my work.  I couldn't find flax meal at my local stores, so I used almond flour and coconut flour and have made some delicious creations.  I used the recipe found below andy friend loaned me her book about muffins and I am going to make most of them (there were a few that didn't sound good, like lox and cream cheese muffins).  Friends at work are also making gluten-free muffins with flax and chia and fresh fruit from the garden and bringing them to share.  My favorite so far are the blueberry (shown below), but the cinnamon walnut turned out great as well.

I substituted raw stevia for sugar in some, but didn't add any sweetener to others and I think they taste great.  Stevia is an excellent sweetener which doesn't negatively impact blood sugar.  I think I can detect a slight after taste with stevia, so I generally avoid sweetening my muffins.  If I put fruit in the muffin, it provides a natural sweetness which I prefer.


I have noted that I can only eat two muffins at a time or I develop intestinal discomfort and heart burn.  This has me confused because it is nut flour and not grain flour.  It is possible that my gut is just telling me not to eat the entire batch of muffins just because they smell and taste so good.

Muffins are a great way to provide a "bread" to a meal.  I am excited to make the savory muffins with Italian seasonings to go with spaghetti squash.  Muffins are easy to make and can be frozen for later use.  I highly recommend almond flour muffins for paleo and gluten-free eaters alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment