Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Breakfast in the crock pot

I love the ease of putting a crock pot meal together and then eating it 4 to 8 hours later.  We have a crock pot at work and often make dinner for the swing shift.  I have the lovely opportunity of working a day shift tomorrow, so I started a crock pot breakfast which will be ready when I start my shift at 0700.  Because I will be sharing it with my co-workers, it is gluten-free, but not strictly paleo.

Here is what I used this time:
5 yellow potatoes, cubed, skins on (frozen, shredded potatoes work great)
1 cup chicken stock
12 eggs whisked with
1 cup milk (I used so delicious brand unsweetened coconut milk which doesn't smell or taste like coconut)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 pound ground turkey, cooked on the stove top with 1 Tablespoon of McCormick steak seasoning

I mixed all the items in the crock pot and turned it on low to simmer all night.
Cheese would usually be mixed in, but I don't eat cheese so I have some shredded cheese on the side for anyone who may want it.

My friend at work is making home made bread or rolls for the wheat eaters (wheaties) and I have my UDIs rice bread for myself.  The mixture would also go great in tortillas for breakfast burritos.  I heard a rumor that there are now great tasting rice flour tortillas, but haven't been able to find them yet.

This crock pot meal is a good way to feed a lot of people with very little effort.  It is perfect for breakfast or anytime.  For the days when I am at work until midnight and have to be back in the early AM, it is an excellent way to make sure I have something hearty with protein to eat in the morning.
;
Noteworthy from work today:  I was offered and accepted a promotion and a raise. 
Variation on the usual theme: "My cat tripped me and I can't get up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment