Saturday, November 12, 2011

Coconut Oil

     I eat a paleo diet and a gluten-free diet.  Paleo is automatically gluten-free (gf) and much more strict than gluten-free.  As if gf isn't already restrictive, eating paleo drastically reduces eating options.  A person has to start focusing on what CAN be eaten rather than what cannot.  When I first started, I made a list and kept it on the fridge so I could see what I could eat.  Because I don't tolerate dairy products, coconut products have filled the role of milk and ice cream and creamer for my green tea.  I have tried many, many products and these are two of my all time favorites.

     Milk-The "so delicious" brand is an excellent choice and the unsweetened brand is my personal favorite.  I buy it at Smiths on the aisle with boxed milk.  It is great to have in the pantry as it does not need to be refrigerated until opened.  I use it for cooking and drinking and prefer it to any soy or nut milk I have tried.  The chocolate and the sweetened milk are also very good and I will have those on cheat days.  Sugar doesn't make me feel ill and I do not have a physiological reaction to eating sugar, so it is the most difficult part of eating paleo.  Having non-dairy milk has increased my eating options.

     Oil-Also found at Smiths and many other stores, "LouAna" brand coconut oil is the best I have found.  It doesn't have a coconut smell or taste so it is excellent for all cooking.  It is solid when cool and can be used like shortening and lard.  It becomes liquid above 77 degrees and is great for cooking.  I also use this oil as body lotion and lip balm and face wash. 

     The book which drove home the information about oil and how man-made oils are hurting our health is written by Bruce Fife.  His book, "The Coconut Oil Miracle" is a great resource and should be read by anyone suffering from food allergies and chronic illness.   http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment