Thursday, November 10, 2011

Practical gluten-free and paleo cooking. Cooking and eating with food allergies and chronic illness.

Practical gluten-free and paleo cooking.  Cooking and eating with food allergies and chronic illness.

     Eating for optimal health can be a problem for people with chronic illness and food allergies.  Sometimes we just can't stand long enough to cook anything but microwave food or even get out of bed to make anything.  It helps to have a caregiver or relative or friend who is willing to cook for you, but many people are too stubborn to ask for help.  When I don't feel well, I use the crockpot a lot.

     If you are well enough to have a job, eating healthy can be a challenge.  Preparing a meal ahead of time and remembering to take it with you to work can be a struggle for those of us with fuddled minds.  Thinking clearly is hard when combating an illness.  I have learned to make a bigger dinner so there is enough to freeze or refridgerate.  I also started a cooking day where I prepare meals and freeze them to have food ready to go.

     I shop and cook on the same day which isn't possible for many people.  If you have the energy to shop one day and have to wait until the next day to cook I suggest leaving the meat in the fridge so it is easier to cook instead of having it frozen.



     Today, I took a ziplock bag of a prepared frozen meal out of the freezer and took it to work.    I open the bag and cook it for 1 minute and then put it on a plate for another 3 minutes to completely warm it up.  I have a paleo/gluten-free meal at low cost and easy to prepare and eat.

     Every meal should be a triangle of protein and vegetable and good fat.  If you include those three things in each meal, you will feel satisfied and have more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment