Monday, November 14, 2011

Egg Foo Yung, or, Scrambled Chicken

     This meal is excellent for any time and is paleo and gluten-free.  It is quick and easy for days where there is no energy to cook for an extended time or there just isn't much time.  It is also a less expensive meal and perfect for those days when a pay check is still a week away and the cupboards are getting bare.


     Ingredients: Egg, omega 3 fortified if possible.  Costco chicken which is gluten-free, nitrate free and a great source of lean protein. V8 provides carbohydrates and fiber in the vegetables you need and the coconut oil provides good fat.  Onion powder and garlic powder to season.

     Warm a teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan and add onion powder and garlic powder to taste.  Add the chicken after draining the liquid.  Let the chicken warm while you beat two eggs and then add the eggs and continue to stir the chicken and eggs until it is done to your preference.

     Drink your V8 with your meal and you fulfilled your need for protein, complex carbs (vegetables) and good fat.

    
 Notes: 

I avoid salt due to my kidney disease and use spices and seasonings which do not contain salt most of the time.  Powdered seasonings work great for me and provide excellent substitutes for salt.  I do make sure I get my daily amount of sodium or I don't feel well.  Eggs which are omega 3 fortified are best and if you can afford them, the best choice.  Costco chicken is a staple in my cupboard and can be used for so many different things.  Costco has a list of gluten-free items for our convenience and is a good friend to the food allergy population.

When eating for optimal health, there is a good choice, a better choice and the best choice.    Eating organic, pasture-fed protein and organic fruits and vegetables and snacks is the best choice.  If you can find and afford wild, nitrate free, pasture-fed meats, choose them every time.  If you are like me and either cannot afford them or do not know where to find them, make a good choice and eat gluten-free and do your best with everything else.  I'm working my way up to eating perfectly paleo.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you take photos of the ingredients you use. That helps me know what to look for when I am shopping.

    ReplyDelete