Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Twice the Buttah'

     Twice the Buttah is about coping with food allergies and eating for maximum wellness.  I hope to impart the information I have gathered in an effort to help anyone who suffers from the same or similar health problems.
     I have a chronic kidney disease, IgA Nethropathy which is an autoimmune dysfunction, and have food allergies, specifically Celiac disease and possibly more.  I do not currently have health insurance, so I have not been able to test for more allergies, but have found through trial and error the things which cause a physiological reaction.
     There is a test which will reveal all of your food allergies, but it is expensive, $500.00, through http://www.enterolab.com/.  Because I cannot afford it, I just started to eat as if I had ALL of the food allergies which the test detects.
 
     I have eaten a strict Gluten-free diet starting December 2009.  I dabbled with Gluten-free up to that point and was working my way up to it when I contracted MRSA and almost died.  After I recovered, my sisters showed me how to be healthy and cope with our genetic dysfunction and I felt much better, but still not entirely well.
     My sister, her husband and her brain (her friend who acts as her brain when she is sick) researched the Paleo diet and introduced it to me. I was reading about Paleo and similar diets like Mediterranean and thinking about it and working my way up to actually trying it.
     I decided to try a Paleo diet because it was Gluten-free and boasted some great health benefits.  As if my diet wasn't restrictive enough, I stopped eating sugar, grains, dairy and man-made oils.  Because I stopped eating sugar, but added natural butter back into my diet, I made myself feel better by adding twice the butter to my vegetables.  "No sugar, twice the buttah" became my eating battle cry.
     I've never felt better.

No comments:

Post a Comment