Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Almond Cookies

I love cookbooks and just got a new one from a school fundraiser.  It had an easy and fast recipe for cookies and I tried it out today.  They are very good cookies.


1 cup sugar
1 cup almond butter
1 egg

1. Preheat over to 350.  Beat ingredients until well combined.







2.  Shape dough into balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten slightly with fork.




3.  Dust with sugar if desired and bake 10 minutes or until set.  Cool completely.

The almond butter I used is MaraNatha brand, all natural, creamy.  

These cookies are gluten-free, but not paleo due to the sugar.  If made with a sugar substitute, I think they would still taste fine and be a good paleo treat.

I fulfilled my goal of being sugar-free for the paleo trial period and made the choice to go ahead and eat sugar through the holidays.  At the end of December, I am going back to a strict paleo diet with a gluten-free cheat meal once a week.  I sometimes will have a full cheat day, but a cheat meal works better for me.  If I cheat all day long, I don't feel very well the next day.  I keep a list of things I really, really miss and make sure I get my fill with my cheat meal.  I always eat gluten-free and that isn't something I can fudge on.  I choose to eat paleo because it makes me feel great and I have been losing weight as an added bonus.

So the cookies turned out great and were actually a little too sweet for me because I don't eat a lot of sugar.  The cookbook was called "Incredibly Easy Gluten-Free Recipes"  part of the Favorite All Time Recipes series.

Easy, Simple, Yummy goodness.  Enjoy

I made this same recipe again and instead of sugar, used molasses for the sweetener.  My sister is quite possibly the best gluten-free cook in the universe and suggested honey or molasses instead of sugar.  I eat honey and molasses although neither are suggested for eating strictly paleo.  Remember that no matter what you read or what your Doctor tells you, you are unique and your body responds differently to different foods.  If I do not have a physiological response to a food, I keep it in my diet.  Honey and molasses do not bother me in any way and I continue to eat them both.

1 cup almond butter
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1 dash of ground ginger
1 dash ground cloves
3 dashes ground cinnamon


The mixture was more runny with the molasses and wouldn't form into balls.  Next try I am going to use 1/4 cup molasses or honey. I dropped the dough with spoons onto the ungreased cookie sheet and left them to cook longer, 15 minutes, as they weren't quite done in the middle.  I love them.  They taste like ginger bread.  I was shooting for a snicker-doodle, but the ginger bread taste is so delicious.  They would go great with vanilla ice-cream or some heavy whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment