Tuesday, November 29, 2011

GAPS

I have been reading up on GAPS or Gut and Psychology Syndrome

"Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride holds a degree in Medicine and Postgraduate degrees in both Neurology and Human Nutrition."  but sadly, it is the fact that she is a mother who was searching for answers for her sick child that holds more weight for me.

I was surprised at how similar her suggestions are to the research from Good Calories, Bad Calories

In particular, " Homemade meat stock, soups, stews and natural fats are not optional - they should be your patient's staples."

"Meat and fish stocks provide building blocks for the rapidly growing cells of the gut lining and they have a soothing effect on any areas of inflammation in the gut.  That is why they aid digestion and have been known for centuries as healing folk remedies for the digestive tract. It is essential to use bones and joints, as they provide the healing substances, not so much the muscle meats."

"The gelatinous soft tissues around the bones and the bone marrow provide some of the best healing remedies for the gut lining and the immune system; your patient needs to consume them with every meal. "

 "Adrenals love fat and cholesterol. So, as far as the diet is concerned, eat lots of animal fats with every meal and cholesterol-rich foods, such as egg yolks, sour cream, butter and fatty fish. "

"GAPS diet removes processed carbohydrates"



The idea of eating organ meats, bone marrow and gelatinous soft tissue still makes me a bit queasy.  Eating meat so frequently gave me a head trip. (Poor furry things! Carbon Footprint!) Eating heavy cream and butter gave me nightmares (Literally!). It makes sense what is said... putting this into practice may toughen up my stomach. Oh, wait.. I suppose that is the whole point.

2 comments:

  1. I have a hard time eating those things also, but I have found it is easier for me to handle meat now. It used to make me queasy just to open a package of raw meat. I'm working my way up to organ meats, marrow and gelatinous soft tissue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when you wouldn't eat meat at all when you got home from Germany.
    Ahhhh.. look at us now.

    ReplyDelete