Thursday, December 1, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

     As someone who eats gluten-free all the time and paleo most of the time, I have found that if something doesn't taste good, I'm not going to eat it more than once.  It isn't worth the calories, it isn't worth the money and it isn't worth my time.
     There are so many gluten-free items which just don't taste right.  Either there is a bitter after taste or you can feel the grainy texture from whatever flour is used.  Many of the gf products today could be manufactured in a lab, so always check the labels and don't eat lab experiments.  There was as time, a few years ago, when the gf choices weren't as prevalent.  We either made our own foods or paid the exorbitant prices for something on the shelf at the health food store.  I would choke down each and every bite because I paid so much for it I couldn't waste it.
     Eating paleo removed the problem of substituting gf products for normal flour products, but there is still a desire for breads and pastas.  On my cheat day from paleo I love to have Amy's brand macaroni and cheese.


      This macaroni and cheese is so delicious, creamy and flavorful and the pasta is the perfect texture.  It comes frozen so it can be used for lunches as work and we like to make it at home and add any kind of meat.  My son loves it with gf hot dogs cut up in it or browned hamburger mixed in.  It is a comfort food many gf eaters miss and will enjoy adding back in to the gf diet.

     If you have a great home made recipe for macaroni and cheese, my favorite brand of pasta to us for cooking is Tinkinyada.  It tastes better than anything else I have tried so far.  It is on my grocery store shelf now at Smith's and other places.  I was looking for a good picture and found one of many places online to purchase it:

www.vitacost.com

http://www.vitacost.com/Tinkyada?csrc=PPCADW-tinkyada&refcd=GO000000514376153s_tinkyada&tsacr=GO8336949851

     These pastas taste great and make excellent spaghetti, tuna casserole, mac and cheese, fettuccine, and whatever else you can imagine.  I personally favor the brown rice products due to the taste and texture and the fact that brown rice is a complex carbohydrate.

     So enjoy pasta and enjoy eating gluten-free.  I love to make some pasta and put butter and garlic on it and just eat it plain.  Because everything is better with Buttah.

No comments:

Post a Comment