Monday, January 16, 2012

Healthy Living Challenge

Today started the beginning of an eight week healthy living challenge at work. The challenge is being run by one of my co-workers who is a personal trainer.  It is along the lines of a biggest loser challenge, but we had to make the change so that the focus was on healthy living instead of weight loss.

I started with a big bang by getting out of bed on the wrong side, started of fwith the wrong foot, ate some gf cookies and blew my diet out of the water.  I have settled back down and had a good dinner of bbq pork and spinach.

My focus is to start exercising in earnest and get back on my triangle of health, eating 3 meals of protein/vegetable carb/good fat and 3 snacks of nuts/seeds/good fruit carb and good fat. 

Good news:  At my Doctor's visit, there was no blood in my urine at all which has not happened for years and years.  I still need to see my nephrologist, but my kidneys appear to be doing better than they have for a long time.

Funny things from work: 

"Please call other responders as her son is on a month long square dancing vacation."

"What is Doug's relation to you?"   "Oh Honey, we don't have relations!  He is just my neighbor!"

1 comment:

  1. You aren't the only one!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8159309

    I read an pubmed article a while ago that indicated IgA NP was one of the few auto immune disorders that has the potential to be reversed with a gluten free diet. Most of them (Thyroid in particular does not reverse once GF. Though it does stop further damage.) I can't find it now with just a quick search, but here are some I did find.

    "We conclude that IgA-AGA are associated with the progression of IgA NP. Our findings support the current concept about the pathogenesis of IgA NP, where the defective IgA production itself may be the primary and intestinal lesions as well as the production of IgA-AGA the secondary phenomenon."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10460933

    "Coeliac disease is more frequent in IgA nephropathy (IgAN) patients compared to the healthy population."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19332868

    ReplyDelete