Monday, January 2, 2012

Eating for Optimal Health, Take Two

After indulging in gluten free grains and sugar and soda pop during the month of December, it is time to get back to eating healthy.  I don't have any new goals or resolutions, I am just picking back up the old ones and continuing to soldier on.  Honestly, I don't know that I will go back to grains and sugar ever again because it is so hard to detox.  The wicked headache from sugar and caffeine withdrawl makes me cranky.

Getting back in the game made me think of how eating healthy and exercising is similar to getting a new video game.  Learning to eat for optimal health is similar to playing the new video game.  When starting a new game, your character has to learn how to survive and avoid pitfalls and dangers.  Your character is going to die and quit and you will have to start over and learn how to avoid the dangers.

Starting over with the knowledge you gained, you start to play better and your character lives longer.  You find treasure and reveal secrets and get bonus points and extra lives.  While there might be a few individuals who can play a game the first time and beat it with a top score,  most of us regular people have to practice.

If I find myself off track and not feeling well because of it, I try not to feel too bad about it.  I realize that I am learning and I have to practice eating well and exercising.  I have to start over each day and do better and better each time.  This video game I call my life isn't all that fun.  Sometimes I just stay in bed instead of playing because my character isn't strong.  Knowing I will get better with practice I stay motivated to wake up and try again another day and feel happy to have another day to try.

Eating well along with moderate exercise can earn us more life in real life.  Not eating well may cause us to lose our lives for real.  I try to keep that in mind while making my choices throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment