Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Healthy Smoothies

Earlier, I mentioned that I drink spinach.
Actually, not just spinach, just about any green.

My friend introduced me to The Green Smoothie Girl. Like all nutrition "gurus" I take what works for my body, and leave the rest.
I have seen a great increase in the amount of greens in my diet after I started adding them to a smoothie. It is a fast, easy way to get more greens.

The Green Smoothie Girl says you need a high powered, professional blender. I have found my 70's gold Osterizer to do a great job. (And it was about $370 cheaper at Goodwill.)




At this point, I have put a whole lot of things in a smoothie.
Coconut milk, homemade yogurt, ice and water are my typical bases
Then I add frozen berries. Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry
Any greens I have on hand, spinach, beet greens, kale and celery are my favorites.
Give it a whirl and keep it on for about 2 solid minutes to make it nice and smooth.
Pour it into an opaque glass if the brownish color is a turn off.

We often have this with elk burgers so we have Burgers and a Shake.
Gives us the triangle of Good Fat, Good Carb, Protein.

It is a great way to get more raw fruit and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment