Thursday, December 8, 2011

Curry

I enjoy all curries, but haven't been able to make my own at home taste as good as the restaurant.  I prefer Indian curry dishes to Thai curry dishes, but I love them both.  Curry chicken and Pineapple curry tie for first place with me. 

Pineapple Curry
Butter or coconut oil for flavor and texture
Curry paste or powder to taste-I used 1 Tablespoon
Fresh or canned pineapple-no sugar added
1 can of coconut milk
Meat of choice-Chicken is my preference but fish is a close second

I use Thai Kitchen brand green curry paste as it contains no sugar and it is gluten-free and is mild heat.  I am working my way up to making my own paste and grinding my own spices.  I use the Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk for cooking Thai curries.  The Thai Kitchen website has recipes and allergy information which I find helpful before purchasing products at the store.  It cuts down on my ingredient reading time at the store.  http://www.thaikitchen.com/

I usually brown the meat in butter or coconut oil and then add the curry and milk to the pan.  This time, however, I had talapia fish I needed to cook and didn't want to overcook it by frying it first.  I rubbed the fish with coconut oil first and then I mixed my curry and coconut milk and spices and poured them over the fish in a baking pan and covered it with tin foil.  I baked it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  For my vegetable serving, I boiled baby carrots until tender and smothered them with butter.  The orange of the carrots was a beautiful contrast for the fish and pineapple and curry sauce.


Baking instead of stove top made the curry sauce quite thin instead of more like a gravy.  In the future, I will continue to use the stove top and just add the fish at the end so it doesn't over cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment