Friday, December 9, 2011

MEATZA

"Mommo, can we have Meatza?"
Yes, it has actually been requested by a Wheatie*

This paleo friendly, gluten free deliciousness has many homes on the internet already.

The Justin Owings Page is where I first heard about it and determined to try it.
I use his basic recipe with, of course, tweeks of my own for the "crust"

  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese**
  • 3 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp caraway seeds 
  • 1 tsp fennel
  • 1 Tblsp oregano/Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp coarse ground pepper
  • 2 lbs. ground elk

This I mix together in my Kitchen Aid mixer. If raw meat doesn't gross you out like it does me, use your hands to incorporate it.

I have found a few handy tools to make this fast and easy.
Parchment paper and a small roller are my friends.

 

Pop the "crust" into an oven on 450 for 10 minutes.  You will get shrinkage. Remove from the oven. Depending upon what kind of meat you use, you may need to remove grease at this point.
Top with your favorite toppings. (Broccoli, onion, zucchini, sausage, pepperoni, basil, spinach and mozzarella are frequently seen on our Meatza)
Turn your oven to Broil and back in for 5 minutes for bubbly, yummy cheesy MEATZA!
Holds well for days after, warms well for lunches. I've even eaten it cold for breakfast.

*No longer a cold cereal, but one who eats Wheat

2 comments:

  1. "meat shrinkage" (giggles). That looks delicious. I used a pie plate the other night for mine and it worked out really well and cut into the slices like an actual pizza. I put bacon and asparagus on mine and thought I was in pizza heaven.

    ReplyDelete