Thursday, December 1, 2011

Salsa Verde Elk

My husband is a hunter.
I love this.
I know my red meat is pasture fed. In fact, I stood in the pasture and helped field dress the last Elk he brought home.
The butcher charges one dollar for each pound of hung weight. Hung weight includes the bones which are discarded. Add that cost to the hunting license ($32.50) and Elk tag ($170 ), the fuel to get the truck into the woods and the deep freezer purchased ($150.00) years ago.  I figure a rough estimate is slightly above $2/lb for humane, pasture fed red meat.
We rarely purchase beef because we have a large freezer full of Elk. Any of the recipes where I use Elk, Beef can be successfully substituted.
Or, you can become a hunter yourself.



2 lbs Elk Round Steak (or a Beef cut of any kind)
1 bottle Salsa Verde

Place in crock pot, high for 5 hours or low for 8.
Pull apart with a fork and shred the meat. 

There are multiple good choices for Salsa Verde. You can obviously make your own. Or check out one of these brands if you don't have a Trader Joe's by you.

They work just as well.I usually keep several on hand. This is my go-to meal when I will be busy all day and don't have time to fix a meal. It literally takes minutes to make.
As you can see, 2 pounds of meat is a lot for one meal, but it is just as easy to throw two in the crock pot, then I have left overs for lunch or breakfast.
This is how we ate it one night. Though I ate some for breakfast without the cheese or coleslaw.

2 comments:

  1. Would you please post your coleslaw recipe? It looks great and doesn't appear to have any milk base. The Elk hamburger you left for us on your last visit was delicious.

    ReplyDelete