Friday, December 16, 2011

Sprouting a little crunch.

Growing up there were two ladies in our neighborhood who were more than a little off the "norm". I'm now ashamed to say I was one who mocked and called them "crunchy" or "nutty". They did things like sprouted their own seeds, milked their goat every morning for breakfast, ate "health" food and seemed to always have some sort of kooky idea about how to fix anything from a wart to cancer.

When diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2003 there were very limited choices at the SAD super markets I was accustomed to purchasing my food. I would venture into the health food store, wrinkle up my nose at the smell*, and wander around very aware of how I seemed to be the only one in the store who showered on a regular basis. I came to call it "shopping among the unwashed".

Oh! How much has changed!
I have been on a gastronomic journey since then, often dragging others along with me. 
It began with just finding something that was gluten free. Something, Anything. Please!

Several twists and turns later here I am, eating a grain-free, sugar-free, good-fats, veggie-full diet, making my own yogurt and sprouting my own seeds.

Sprouting is really, really easy, inexpensive and I love to snack on them when I am missing the crunch of chips or crackers.
Sprouting seeds are available many places.  Organic and non GMO are obviously best.


When I started, I didn't know if it would be something that would work for me, or if I even liked sprouts! I didn't want to put out any cash if it would just be something I would later send to Goodwill. I just used what I had around the house. A mason jar, metal ring and some screen. Now, I've got my eye on a SproutMaster though not in a great hurry because what I have works so well for me.
I learned how to sprout from Sproutpeople University .
Basically, seeds + water + time/ drainage = yummy goodness.
Add 2-3 times water as seed, let it soak (time is dependent on the seed you are sprouting)
I am not usually real accurate with time and such. I put a tablespoon of seed in a pint mason jar, fill it up with water and set it by the sink.
Every morning I change the water until I see the seeds swelling and getting little "tails".
Once tails are sighted, rinse the seeds well with water and turn it upside down to drain.
Anytime I'm by the sink and think about it (suggested is 2-3 times a day) put fresh water in, shake it about, and tip it upside down to drain again.
Once there are little green leaves and the jar is full, switch the screen for a lid and toss them in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.
Mine never last that long.

I've been known to take a pinch out plain to munch on,
or eat them tossed with salt**
thrown in my smoothies
On salads
or drenched in Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar

Different seeds have different tastes so even if you don't like (mung) Bean sprouts, try something else, you might be surprised at how much you like them. Each have a different nutritional content as well. Deliciously high in protein too.


And those ladies? Those kooky old ladies are still going strong, living on their own, both in their 90's and still wiping their own butt.

I can only hope I learn to be that crunchy.


* What IS that smell? I still haven't figured out where it comes from.
**SALT oh how I love Salt and it is mine again. A post for another day.

2 comments:

  1. You do the most amazing things. What are the benefits of growing your own compared to purchasing from the store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no expert of course, but for me it starts with freshness, variety and cost.
    Variety being one of the most important for me.
    I've found I really like sprouted lentils and sprouted sunflower seeds. I've never seen those offered in a regular market.
    I've found when I purchase from the store they go bad faster. Likely due to time between grower and shelf and then shelf time before purchase.
    I've never done a cost analysis, but I'm sure it is less to grow my own. The mix pictured here was purchased for $7.35/12oz. About 0.50 oz will fill a pint jar about the size of the clam shells sold at market for around $2.00.
    So that is a savings of around $1.70.
    Those things make it worth it to me to take less than a minute for 4-5 days and shake some water around.

    ReplyDelete